Home Sport Coventry United Heanor Town FC 2-1 Coventry United FC – Match Report & Highlights

Heanor Town FC 2-1 Coventry United FC – Match Report & Highlights

5 min read

After an impressive midweek 3-1 win away to Loughborough, Coventry’s squad was depleted by suspensions and injuries with 8 of the first team unavailable. The situation worsened just prior to kick off with Ben Mackey unable to take his place on the bench and United had to start the game with just 2 reserves. Young Gilbert Kugbe-Dzisam got a rare start in midfield as Chris Cox once again proved his versatility by switching to centre back alongside Robert Prinzel.

The match against Heanor Town fizzed into action straight away with the visitors adopting their trademark slick passing game and the hosts counter punching with a more direct physical approach. Simeon Townsend fired a shot over the bar within a minute and Dylan Otshudi had a one-on-one blocked, before Josh O’Grady was stopped on a run to goal by goalkeeper McCormack. After half an hour Heanor themselves broke forward and Debrouwer raced through on goal but could only manage to push a rushed shot wide.

Before the break it was United who managed to take the lead when O’Grady picked up the ball from Tommy Glasscoe, following a weak Heanor clearance, before firing in a glorious hooked shot into the far bottom corner of the goal from all of 25 yards.

The home team began an aerial assault on United’s goal, which would last the rest of the game and ultimately win them the match. Just before half time a high cross from the hosts fell to Naylor who could only manage to hit the ball over from 10 yards out. Then a deep cross ended up ricocheting across the goal line in a scramble before the visitors could clear their lines and the half time whistle acted as saviour.

Heanor Equalise
Heanor Equalise

From the 2nd half kick off Heanor continued to press, Joe Connor diving full stretch to tip a long range effort from Hall around the post. The United keeper put a string of impressive saves together to deny the hosts before the equaliser eventually arrived. With only 10 minutes to go another looping deep cross caught Connor on his line and Naylor thundered a header home off the bar.

Brian Ndlovu had come on for the red and greens and wasted no time trying to make an impact on proceedings, but the impressive McCormack once again dived at feet to block any real effort on goal as the forward bore down on goal. With the match destined for a draw Heanor once again launched the ball into the United 18 yard box and substitute Naylor rose highest to send a long looping header into the corner past the hapless Connor.

With Coventry hearts almost broken one final chance came and went. A long ball into space on the right hand side of the box from Gilbert found O’Grady who sat the ball up perfectly inside the 6 yard box with the goal gaping Ndlovu could only mis-time his header straight to the thankful McCormack.

As the final whistle blew the hosts celebrated their late winner wildly and the din of Sweet Caroline echoed loudly from their dressing room to rub salt into the wounds of the United players who disappeared forlornly into the noise.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Nick Woods
Load More In Coventry United

Leave a Reply

Check Also

Doncaster Rovers VS Coventry City – Highlights

Watch highlights from Saturdays League One fixture against Doncaster Rovers. …